Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Favorite Albums of 2012: Number 10

Today I start my countdown of my favorite albums of 2012. I don't say best because your humble writer were never be so bold as to call these the BEST records of the year. I am no established critic or judge, just a simple fellow with simple tastes.

My list is going to run the gamut from power pop to indie rock to progressive to alt-country to psychedelic rock. I'll do some honorable mentions when the list is done, but these records are the ones I kept going to. I did a little exercise: I had all the records I bought in 2012 on my iPhone, then I slowly wheedled that down to about 30. My selection process was to ask myself: of these <x> which one would I go without. That's how the list made made and how the rankings were done.

So...number 10:

Brad - United We Stand

Brad is comprised of Mike Berg, Shawn Smith and Stone Gossard. The last of those 3 guys is one of the guitarists in Pearl Jam. I've written about Brad before. I liked the record a lot then and like I said, it is one I keep coming back to. It is a very 1990s sounding record. For someone my age, that's not a bad thing. There is a nostalgia that drips from it. Some of the reviews I have read have called it and the band irrelevant. I do not agree with that. I all music is relevant in some regard. If someone can hear it and enjoy it then it is relevant; it just may not be everybody's cup of tea. Personally, I find it interesting and enjoyable. I like Shawn Smith's voice; it has a very 90s alternative sound. Maybe because it reminds me of Dewey Bunnell of America, which is a band my father loved and is one, especially their first two records, hold a special place in my heart.

Particularly strong tracks, if you are inclined to sample, are "Miles Of Rope," "Bound In Time," and "Needle and Thread." I you like Pearl Jam or Mudhoney or just the 90s Seattle sound in general, you might like this.

Next up....an Australian psychedelic adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment