Thursday, December 27, 2012

Obligatory Buys

There are some bands that I will always buy their new record. As a fan I think it is important to continue showing support. Plus my music habit is close to a drug addiction, so it is a nice way of providing cover.

Some of the albums were really good...some were kind of meh.

Mirage Rock by Band Of Horses - I do not like their last two records as much as I liked their first two records. I sense a negative trend. The last two have been more by-the-numbers...less interesting.

The Sound Of The Life Of The Mind by Ben Folds Five - Ben Folds' solo stuff has always been sort of dull, especially when compared to his work with his eponymous band. The song writing here is not as great as the original three BFF records. Not a disappointment here; it is good to hear Ben playing with Darren Jesse and Robert Sledge again. They seem to bring out the best in Ben.

Algiers by Calexico - Best way to describe Calexico is if an alt-country band did the soundtrack for a spaghetti western. This one would probably have been in my top 20 if I thought that hard about it.

One Lovely Day by Citizen Cope - Clarence Greenwood writes great songs. This is another solid entry into his discography. Mellowish R&B-flavored singer-songwriter stuff.

Walking In The Green Corn by Grant Lee Phillips - Grant Lee Buffalo was an amazing band and their leader has turned in some greta solo records since he went solo. He is mellowing with age. Unfortunately it is not as interesting a sit used to be.

Love Is The Plan, The Plan Is Death by James Blackshaw - Young British 12-string acoustic player. Makes great instrumental albums with scary titles. Has experimented with more instrumentation, be it strings or keys or what. Still really pretty music.

Bringing In The Darlings by Josh Ritter - Great singer-songwriter with a new EP. This one is kind of meh.

The Dreamer by Rhett Miller - Kind of growing on me since I saw the Old 97s live.

Point Of Morrow by The Shins - I really liked this when it first came out. Still like it but it dropped out of the top 10.

Among The Leaves by Sun Kil Moon - Mark Kozelek's latest is sort of inert. I just don't dig this one.

Now For Plan A by The Tragically Hip - My second most favorite band on Earth and their latest is just sort of meh. I have thought that for the last couple of records but I eventually came around on them. Maybe I will here!

Tomorrow I will talk about my favorite metal albums of the year! YEAH!

No comments:

Post a Comment