Friday, December 21, 2012

Favorite Albums of 2012 - Number 3

It is my strong opinion that the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is a joke. When it opened it was Jann Wenner's (editor of Rolling Stone magazine) baby, so it was filled with bands and continues to be filled with bands that have the Rolling Stone seal of approval. I do not hide that I am a power pop and metal and progressive music fan, and what particularly galls me is the lack of that in such a hallowed institution. If the purpose of a hall of fame, any hall of fame, is commemorate bands that were important, especially bands that were important to other bands, it is an absolute sham it took Black Sabbath so long to get in and that bands like Deep Purple, King Crimson, Yes, Kiss, Cheap Trick and Big Star are still not there.

I not one of those dopes that say hip-hop does not belong there. I am not a big hip-hop fan but I like everybody else I like The Beastie Boys. But I also appreciate and enjoy listening to Public Enemy, N.W.A., Cypress Hill. Hip-hop is as much a part of rock n roll as anything else. It all came from the same root just went in different branches of the tree.

Rush - Clockwork Angels
The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame recently announced my most favorite band on the planet is finally getting inducted into their little club. Rush has always been the first band I froth at the mouth over when discussing the Hall. Their induction in all honesty does not seem like some sort of vindication to me. I am glad for my favorite band, but I am not pumping my fist and strutting around like Rod Tidwell. Part of me is probably a little sad I won't be able to complain about my favorite band being in their stupid hall. I guess I will take up the Cheap Trick or Big Star cause now!

Anyway, back to the countdown. One of the many things I love about Rush is that they keep making strong records. I've talked before about Aerosmith and The Rolling Stones and why they even bother with new music because nobody is interested in hearing it. Rush stays relevant by continuing to make records that say something. I do not mean that in some metaphysical or deep-man kind of way but in that they still write great songs and still play better than any other band on the planet. Clockwork Angels is no exception. It is a return to the concept album idea, but not the 20-minute suites that they used to do. The concept is about an alternate universe based in steampunk about a farm kid who runs off to the city and has adventures and sails air-ships and crosses deserts and fights battles and joins a traveling circus. (Neil Peart co-wrote a book that fleshed out the story. Speaking as a Rush fan, it is...okay. We will leave it at that) The story is fine, the revelation is the musicianship and the great songs. There's no "Tom Sawyer" here, no "Limelight" or "Spirit Of Radio," but songs like "Caravan" and "Headlong Flight" and "The Wreckers" and especially the last two: "Wish Them Well" and "The Garden" are songs that stand just fine in the Rush canon. Those last two are especially good: the former a nice almost power pop kind of cut, the former probably the best closing song Rush has done (except for "La Villa Strangiato")

It's not hip to say it (but maybe now it's so unhip it has actually become hip...whatever) but I love Rush. I screamed like a little girl when Jodi and I had 2nd row seats right in front of Geddy Lee. I will see them whenever they come to DC or Baltimore. And if Geddy or Alex or Neil ever stumble across this while searching "Rush" in google, then I'll just say "Thanks" for being my most favorite band on the planet for the last 25 years.

Here's "Wish Them Well:"


Next: another old fart makes the list!!

No comments:

Post a Comment