Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Favorite Albums of 2012 - Number 5

I once owned a Rickenbacker 6-string. I had ordered a green one but instead a mapleglo one showed up. At first I was sad and figured I would have to send it back. But after two seconds of looking at it I was in love. What a great guitar. I got to play it live once when I did a solo show at a shitkicker of a club out in Centreville. I sold it about...6 or 7 tears ago, figuring I was never going to be in a band and might as well let it go to a good home. I sold it through craigslist. One of the dumber things I have ever done. I miss the hell out of that guitar.


I speak of Rickenbackers because the latest record from Gentleman Jesse features a pretty fireglo on the cover. Ricks, especially the 12-string model, have that beautiful and unique chimey sound. Think mid-80s REM and Elvis Costello. I bought an Italia Rimini 12-string because I didn't want to spend so much on a Rick. It's a great little guitar, fantastic value and I love it, but it ain't no Rickenbacker.

I am off on a long tangent, because ostensibly this is about number 5 on my list of favorite records of 2012, and that would be Leaving Atlanta by the aforementioned Gentleman Jesse. It's a great power-pop record, VERY late 70s and early 80s Elvis Costello sounding. It has that Rickenbacker chime I adore all over it. What's happening on this record is just straight ahead power pop. Fast catchy numbers. No slow ballads in the bunch, though a couple mid-tempo songs. It's great songwriting in support of a fun summertime record. A minute in and you will likely be bopping your head or tapping your toe along with the beat. Great songs played great will always have a place on my iPod.

Here's "You Give Me Shivers" done live and featuring that gorgeous Rickenbacker.


Next up....a solo record overshadowed by a more well-known band member, though the less known guy's record is 100 times better than the well known guy. Make sense?

PS...I might slip in a concert review because Jodi and I are seeing The Killers tonight. It will ruin the symmetry of the postings but whatever.

No comments:

Post a Comment