Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Quick thoughts on new records

Maybe I'll try this as a new feature: Tuesday is my favorite day of the week because that is when new albums come out. So I'll make passing notes on the albums I download. Sometimes I will have listened to them, sometimes I haven't yet. Got it? Good...GO!

The Tallest Man On Earth - There's No Leaving Now - This is Swede folky Kristian Mattson. This record has more instrumentation than his last record. He's a one man band kind of thing. Has a very distinctive sounding voice. And he's a bit of a spaz when he is performing, which I dig.

drivin n cryin - Songs From The Laundromat - Hey wow a new DNC ep! Who knew? I maintain that Mystery Road, Fly Me Courageous, and Smoke are one helluva good 3-record-run. This one is more mellow. If all you know of DNC is "Straight To Hell" you need to get out more.

The dBs - Falling Off The Sky - This is kind of what REM might have sounded like if they kept being a power pop band. They have a bunch of guys in the band that music nerds like me will recognize (Chris Stamey, Peter Holsapple). Good day for Georgia bands with DNC and dBs having records on the same day.

Ryan Monroe - A Painting Of A Painting On Fire - Evidently he's one of the guys in Band Of Horses not named Ben Bridwell. This gets filed under the category Steve-Clicking-Through-eMusic-Looking-For-Things-to-Download-because-he-still-has-credits. That said, and not having listened to it yet I expect it to be my favorite record of the year. Stay tuned.

Rush - Clockwork Angels - I really have nothing to say about my feelings regarding this record that the following image doesn't accurately depict:




(thanks to #whenindc for them not knowing i have stolen that image)

No comments:

Post a Comment