Saturday, June 16, 2012

Half Point Review: Disappointments

I was thinking whilst in the shower that it is halfway through the year and I should talk about my mid-point favorites of 2012. But then a song came on DC101 and I decided to do a Disappointments list first. Usually I am quite positive here, only occasionally taking some record or someone to task. I am not really saying these albums are bad, it's more a case of high expectations on my part that were not satisfied. Looking through iTunes is surprising the number of records that came up.

Neck of the Woods by Silversun Pickups. This is the record the song I heard this morning is on and triggered this post. I really liked SPs first two records, I found them memorable and melodic and a bit of an extension of what Smashing Pumpkins were doing in the late 90s. This record just doesn't work for me. It feels like they are being too serious and trying to branch out from what they do well. There's no crunch here, or not enough that makes it memorable.

The Dreamer by Rhett Miller. Here is another solo record by the front man of the Old 97s, one of my favorite bands. One of the things I like about RMs solo records is that they have been uniformly power-poppy; which is especially cool in that the 97s are a great alt-country band. The band's records usually have one or two acoustic type songs. This new Rhett record sounds like a collection of songs that should be the last song on a 97s record. Again, it's sort of dull and uninteresting. A real shame because Rhett is a great songwriter and a great performer. I have tried to emulate his stage antics with the 97s in my own stage antics.

Among The Leaves by Sun Kil Moon. Mark Kozelek used to be in a band called Red House Painters. He was also the bassist for Stillwater. Both RHP and SKM are not really bands, but pretty much outlets for his vision. The first SKM record, Ghosts of The Great Highway, is sensational and is the reason I will buy any SKM record that ever comes out. This one is a bit drab sounding. And some of the song titles are like someone getting too cute: "I Know It's Pathetic But That Was the Greatest Night of My Life," "The Moderately Talented Yet Attractive Young Woman vs. The Exceptionally Talented Yet Not So Attractive Young Man," and "Not Much Rhymes With Everything's Awesome At All Times." Those song titles, plus track number 11 which is called "Track Number 8," belies the somberness of the record. I think it is kind of pretentious.

Driving Towards The Daylight by Joe Bonamassa. Listening to this one as I type so maybe I will change my mind while writing. I really like JB, think he's a great guitar player, but I have to be in the right mood for him. Perhaps I just wasn't there when I first heard this record. Perhaps it's that I have recently started to appreciate JoeB and the fact that he had a new record coming out had me especially jazzed.

Wrecking Ball by Bruce Springsteen. Here's the doozy. This album just isn't good. Especially when the reviews rave about it; it's bad. The production is really what does this one in, that and the atrocious hip-hop thing near the end. It's way overproduced. Correct that: way way way way way overproduced. One review said this is Bruce's angriest record. If that's so then maybe it shouldn't sound so slick and über-produced. I am seeing Bruce at Nats Park later this summer. Maybe the songs translate better live. If I produced it and this was a record about economic injustice I would have stripped the thing down and just let the amps crush. If you are trying to be angry then a thick sheen of veneer over it is a bad idea.

OK, enough with the negativity, man. I'll start talking about records I loved tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment