Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Concert Trends and Sloan

I received an email from the Canadian band Sloan talking about their latest tour where they will be doing their album Twice Removed in its entirety. This seems to be a trend as of late. Rush did it last year with their Time machine tour playing all of Moving Pictures; Jodi and I saw Matthew Sweet do all of  Girlfriend. We saw The Church last year up the ante when they did all of Starfish, Priest=Aura and their latest Untitled 23.

I am not sure what to think about this new trend. I liked it when Rush did it. I thought it interesting when The Church did it. Matthew Sweet doing it, in this new context, seems kind of predictable. So here's Sloan. Who? They are a Canadian power pop band. Really really good. Twice Removed is not my favorite record of theirs but in Canada it is well regarded. That's nice.

Personally I think the idea is getting stale. Maybe if I had been touring for twenty years I'd feel different but I think I would prefer to play new stuff. Playing the same thing over and over, especially when you're a mid-level band like Sloan, must get pretty boring. I guess playing the whole record allows them to play the deeper cuts but if you're going to do that just do it across the catalogue. Then again, they might not be the Rolling Stones, but fans, like fans of every band, have the songs they want to hear. Seeing Sloan I'd want to hear the following: "I Am The Cancer," "People Of The Sky," "G Turns To D", "The Good In Everyone," "Nothing Left To Make Me Want To Stay," "Money City Maniacs,"  and "If It Feels Good Do It." That's a nice cross-section of records but I am sure there are other Sloan fans that would shake their heads at that bit.

They are doing two sets, so the first set is the record and the second is the "hits." I guess that's cool. If someone has never seen them perhaps they are disappointed they didn't get to hear their favorites. Or maybe they are super-psyched to hear their favorite record. It just seems to be gimmicky. Maybe if it was a couple dates in your hometown then cool; then it's like a trophy thing to have seen it.

That said I wish they were coming here because I'd like to see that show. HA!

Here's the original video for what will be the third song of the evening on this tour.


No comments:

Post a Comment