Monday, May 14, 2012

(One Of) The Best Artists You've Never Heard Of

About a month ago I was turned on to a 2010 collaboration between one of the guys from The Shazam, Hans Rotenberry, and Brad Jones. It's the latter I want to briefly write about tonight.

Usually I am pretty hip to these kinds of developments, so I was surprised when I found out I was 2 years behind on this record. I was never a big fan of The Shazam but I have always loved Brad Jones' meager output. He made one of the greatest power pop records ever, Gilt-Flake, back in 1995 or so. Since then he has done a lot of producing for bands like Cotton Mather (another criminally under-rated band) and Matthew Sweet. There aren't too many people who really nail the Beatles-esque thing as perfectly as Brad  Jones does. And it's really really sad he doesn't have a bigger profile.

Below is a track from this new collaboration, titled Mountain Jack. This song, titled "A Likely Lad" features Brad Jones singing and is easily the best track on the record. Is a perfect song: it has a great hook and a beautiful melody. Brad Jones' voice is unique but it suits the material and this song especially just perfectly. The quality isn't the best but it will do. I say it a lot but if I wrote a song this good I'd be happy. I hope you like it and if you do, do yourself a favor a track down Gilt Flake. It's just so good to hear him writing and singing songs again. If you read this, Brad, puh-leeeeeeze make another record soon!




No comments:

Post a Comment