Monday, December 23, 2013

Favorite Records of 2013 - Number 9


Minnesota is a cold place in the winter. As I write this it is 1 degree in Duluth, MN, which is where Low is from. That is cold. In terms of misery, I prefer cold weather to hot weather because I can do something about cold. I can keep putting layers on. When it's hot, you can only strip down so far, and then you have to worry about getting sunburned. When it's cold you can put on a tee shirt and a button-down shirt and sweater and a coat and a couple pairs of socks and trudge around in the snow.

Low makes music for cold days, for staying inside with a warm beverage and a nice fire and a hi-fi and maybe a book. Especially their latest record, and my #9 favorite record of 2013, The Invisible Way. I like this record for that very reason. It is an open record; it has open spaces between the notes that make every note you hear stand out. It is not a busy album. It does not fuss or complicate things. Every instrument, every voice begs to be heard. Jeff Tweedy, of Wilco and Uncle Tupelo fame, does an excellent job producing in that he does not get in the way. It takes a deft hand to make an open record sound as good as this one.

Low is Mimi Parker, Alan Sparhawk, and Steve Garrington. Ms Parker and Mr. Sparhawk are married. The former does most of the singing and those songs I like better. But the latter's are no slouch either. When they sing together it works well. It is tricky to sing together; maybe not so much when you are a professional, at least then you are more firmly aware of whom you can and whom you cannot sing with. In my band, as it meager as it is compared to the real deal here, harmonies sometimes work and sometimes they...do not. But we do not pretend to be pros at this; we do try our best and sometimes it does not always work.

Though I like Ms Parker's sung songs better, I choose to provide the album opener "Plastic Cup". It is a perfect example of the record and if you like this I strongly recommend checking out the rest. I like this one because I like the lyrics. The plastic cup in question is a piss cup and at one point in the song the cup is found buried thousands of years later and thought to be the chalice of some forgotten king. The fact that lyrics like that can work in an acoustic trio show you the quality of the material.



This is the second one for today because I did not have a chance yesterday and I want to be done by New Years Day. Tomorrow we go from mellow to very very noisy.

No comments:

Post a Comment