Monday, December 23, 2013

Favorite Records of 2013 - Number 10

First things first...I do not claim that this is a "best of 2013" list. As copious as my music listening is, I have not heard everything, so any claim to best is silly. For example, the latest record from a psychedelic band called Earthless should be landing on my doorstep sometime today. And after a couple of listens on Spotify that record would have had a good chance to make the list.

But time waits for no man!! And...here...we...go!!!!


Around about the turn of the century I was way into alternative country. Ha ha! Turn of the century. That was ten years ago. Technically 13 years ago. Whatever. I was huge into Wilco and Son Volt and Uncle Tupelo and The Jayhawks and Ryan Adams and Whiskeytown and Old 97s and all the bands of that ilk. I still like those bands a ton but the current state of alt country sort of bores me. That's not the music's fault, that is my fault. My ear, my sensibility, whatever you want to call it, has shifted. Right now, I am much more tuned into harder music, heavy music.

Caitlin Rose is neither hard nor heavy. What she is is a damn good song-writer and a damn good singer. Her latest record is The Stand-In is a great bar-room friendly, classic-country sounding record. If you like that show "Nashville" you should be checking out Ms Rose.

She also knows it is smart to surround herself with talented people, especially The Jayhawks' Gary Louis who helps out on a couple songs, two of the songs that happen to be the best on the record: "Only A Clown" and "Silver Sings." Both those tracks have an unmistakable Jayhawks-vibe, those shimmering 12-string guitars that seemed just a little bit amped up than usual, that great country meets rock with a heavier lean toward rock.

But what's best about Caitlin Rose is her voice. She has a sensational voice. Most importantly it is an interesting voice. It is not a hard-road kind of voice, like a Lucinda Williams, but is very unique, more like that of a young woman starting to see the mess that haunts the honky-tonks. The band that supports her is top shelf, switching between rockier numbers to more hard core classic country tunes without problem.

Nashville is a concept I have railed about a ton. The majority of music that is coming out of their factories is uninteresting, dull, not-really-country. Country is a vibe, country is a mood. It's more than sombre; Johnny Cash knew how to get jaunty when he felt like it. Too much country music comes across as fake. And nothing about Caitlin Rose comes across as fake.

Other lists I have seen feature young country artists like Kacey Musgraves and Ashley Monroe. Those young women are definitely talented compared to a lot of the junk Nashville is putting out, but Caitlin Rose is hands down my favorite of the group.

Here's "Only A Clown," my favorite song off the record and one of my favorite songs of the year.




Next up...more mellowness from way up north!

No comments:

Post a Comment