Saturday, April 6, 2013

More With Less

Low is Mimi Parker, Alan Sparhawk and Steve Garrington. They are a very simply put together band: guitar, bass and drum. Occasional keyboard. Parker and hubby Sparhawk trading on vocals. They might be the prototypical indie rock band. Their records are sparse in theory but full in delivery. Take "Just Make It Stop" from their latest record, The Invisible Way:



On a record full of pretty songs this is probably my favorite. The record was produced by the great Jeff Tweedy. An interesting choice because he isn't known, at least to me, as a producer. But the vibe established here shows a deft touch. The well written material is given plenty of room. I said it was full in delivery. Though the parts are relatively small, there isn't much overdubbing or overdoing that I can hear, each part has a weight, has an impact. Each part has a personality; each part stands together with the rest to create a well constructed whole. The crunchiest song is "On My Own" with a frightening guitar squall lurching through the midsection. But it doesn't overwhelm the piano lilt moving underneath or the vocals soaring above. Here's a record that is really well written and really well made.

Sparhawk and Parker's voices work well together. It's the work of singers who are well acquainted with one another, who know where the other's voice belongs, who know how to integrate the uniqueness. One comparison was what Gram Parsons and Emmy Lou Harris did together; I don't necessarily agree with that. The point was the country flavor but the way the voices worked together so well. My disagreement is that with Gram and Emmy Lou you always get the feeling that Emmy Lou was second fiddle to Gram; less a partner and more a supporting act to Gram's svengali-act. That isn't the case here, not even close. If anything Parker has the upper hand; her songs are the more affecting. That is no knock on the other tracks, especially the great opener "Plastic Cup," just a tribute to the high quality of the songs, both lyrically and arrangement-wise.

I had never really given Low a chance before. I knew of them but had never listened. Earlier in the year I got into Sparhawk's noisier side gig Retribution Gospel Choir (whose latest features Wilco sideman Nels Cline), so when the new Low record dropped I felt compelled to take a closer look. I am glad I did. Exposed to them now is a better-late-than-never kind of deal. An outstanding record, one that has a good chance of making my top 10 favorites of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment