Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Across The Crystal Frontier

My biggest prize from Record Store Day 2013 was a copy of the new Calexico 12" Spiritoso. I don't know if they intent to give this a wider release; I think the rules of Record Store Day say you are not supposed to.

The best way I can describe Calexico is to say they are what an indie band would sound like when hired to score a spaghetti western. Like the town they take their name from, there music is rich with their native Arizona. Acoustic/electric guitars mesh with strings and horns and a wide variety of percussive instruments. I've dug them since I read about them in the old No Depression magazine; I think the first CD of theirs I bought was the brilliant Hot Rail. It is still my favorite of theirs but the others are all wonderful.

Calexico is mainly the work of two fellows: Joey Burns and John Convertino. They played with one another in a couple other bands (Giant Sand being one) before finding their niche with Calexico. The music is well beyond what two fellows can do, at least when they do it live. It is really different from what's out there. Indie rock has a broad spectrum of acts and Calexico occupy their own place. The southwestern flavor has such a unique vibe. There are probably other bands that do something similar but I don't know who they are and I doubt they could do it any better. This kind of thing can easily fall into a rut or even into parody but each record moves forward from the last and is always interesting. Instead of aping the same themes or treading the same ground, they find a great balance of staying true to their roots while expanding on the scope. The music evolves from record to record but it stays grounded in where it came from.

Spiritoso is extra-special in that it was recorded live with big time assists from orchestras in Vienna and Potsdam. I hesitate to say they play their hits (there are none really) but if you're familiar with them you'll recognize these tracks. Through the headphones it's simply fantastic. The swells from the orchestra are exhilarating; the way the horns fill the bottom and the strings seem to soar above let the songs take on a life of their own. It is very cinematic music; one can easily see a rider crossing a dusty plain, a an old time locomotive chugging along a desert floor, a coyote silhouetted against the moon. It sounds cheesy here but the execution of the music is just brilliant. It is joyous and soothing all at once. It's great music to unwind to.

I haven't had a chance to see them live but I understand their shows are a real treat. There's a lot going on with it and I one day will get to see how they pull it off live. It will be an experience.

Here's a great tune called "Para." I hope you enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment