Sunday, November 4, 2012

There's Your Mule

Last night's rock and roll excursion took me and Jodi and my bandmate Tom to The Fillmore in Silver Spring to see Gov't Mule. Tom is a big fan of their leader Warren Haynes. He's a great guitar player and a soulful singer. He's also a busy guy. Gov't Mule is his band, but he's done solo stuff and spent some time in the Allman Brothers Band and played a bunch with the Grateful Dead guys after Jerry Garcia passed on.

The Allman Brothers is a good way to describe Gov't Mule. It's jammy based southern rock. Here's a clip of them at a Sirius studio show doing my favorite track of theirs: "Broke Down On The Brazos."


This track is a guitar players delight. Great riffs and licks. Solos like crazy. I wonder if Warren's guitar tech has to rewire that pickup selector after each show. Warren is a great guitar player. He can be lay down the sleaze but is also a really tasteful player. As demonstrated by this track from his 2011 solo record Man In Motion. This is called "River's Gonna Rise."


Usually I like shorter, hooky kind of songs. But sometimes I like to hear a good jam. I wasn't planning on seeing Gov't Mule until Tom asked if I wanted to go. Since I am pretty much always up for a show, I said hell yeah. I am glad I went because it was a great time. They played over 3 hours, including a great cover of "Working Class Hero" that I am going to want to steal for my band. We choose wisely by getting stage right and had a great view of Warren for the whole show.


Tom read up and found out this is a Gibson reverse Firebird
Warren and Jorgen Carlsson

One of his signature Les Pauls

So a really good time out. I was starving so I recommended we cap off the late evening with a visit to the Tastee Diner in Bethesda. MMMMMM! Nothing like pancakes and eggs and hash browns at 2am!!

Me rocking my new GM tee at band practice today

No comments:

Post a Comment