Friday, November 2, 2012

Greetings From The Rock n Roll Hotel

When I posted about the Old 97s show I mentioned I had seen two shows in 72 hours. The other show was the great New Jersey band Titus Andronicus. If you want to learn more about them you can read far better profiles of the band here and here. If you have stuck with me this far, THANKS!

TA from the back of the room
The leader of Titus Andronicus is Patrick Stickles. He has been the constant in the band for all three records (I think that's true..since I don't buy physical CDs anymore I no longer find myself able to recite band lineups from record to record, nor able to recall song titles anymore). The comparisons to Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band are legitimate in that both bands operate on a level bordering on out-of-control. The elder statement of New Jersey have honed their craft where their intensity is always controlled but the audience still gets the feeling of joy. These new kids are still figuring that out but I think they are getting there. The first time I saw them was a couple years ago at The Black Cat. They were touring behind The Monitor which surprisingly was my favorite record of 2010. When I saw them I thought the show was too out-there, too much of teetering on the edge. It is a wild feeling, sure, but it felt like the manic-ness was getting in the way of the music. Not so the second time. Though my vantage point was at the back of the room the energy level was high but the control was there. Sure there were freakout points that saw everything and everybody careening around the room, but it came in waves, not in a sheer wall of madness. If you are looking for a rock show and want to see a young band bringing their all, then Titus Andronicus are for you!

The new record is called Local Business. Like the show, it's a much more restrained record than The Monitor. The previous record used the Civil War as a backdrop for the songs to be constructed around. The latest record foregoes the concept and simply brings the rock. As reviews say, it's the most accessible of their three records (The Airing Of Grievances being their first) so it's an excellent starting point.

Here's the video, the shoot of which is described in one of those links up top), for "In A Big City."


If you listen close you can get that Springsteen vibe. The anthemic vibe that makes you think something different is going on here, something important. Usually that's greeted with cynicism or appropriate derision, but when songs like this are done with such earnestness it's hard not to admire it and to pump your fist along with it. It's hard not to have it catch your attention. The music almost says "Stop what you're doing and listen to me because I've got something going on here." Happily the majority of the record does that ("Food Fight" being the exception).

Couple other random thoughts. I have seen the band twice now and still don't have a tee shirt. Both times I was unhappy with the design. Unfortunate that because tee shirts are trophies for shows. I feel almost empty when I don't get one, and ecstatic when I score three (like at this show). Also, this was my first trip to the Rock n Roll Hotel on H Street in DC. I have been meaning for a long time to check this place out but something, be it something else or simple laziness, gets in the way. Not this time! It's a great little club. Reminds me inside of the old 930 Club but without the pole in the middle. Now that I've popped my proverbial cherry there I hope to report back on many shows there.

No comments:

Post a Comment