Tuesday, September 4, 2012

If The Shoe(s) Fits

Tuesday is new release day and I was going through eMusic looking to see what's new.  There's the new Animal Collective, whom I have already talked about not being into although the critics lap them up. There's the new Jens Lenkman, whom I have heard and have appreciated but meh. I saw Two Door Cinema Club opening for Tokyo Police Club a year or so ago but British synth-rock is not inspiring me. Deerhoof, another critical darling, meh. Everybody loves Cat Power...she's OK.

So that got me thinking what's new in power pop? I thought in a pinch I can't go wrong with a good hook and a good melody and great harmonies. One of the elder statesmen of power pop is Shoes. I had read they had a new album out in July and at the time I thought "groovy" but that was it for that. So I downloaded it today (along with Gentlemen Jesse's 2011 debut but that's for another time). And it's a great piece of bubble-gum.  It isn't deep, it isn't a jaw-dropping display of instrumental prowess, but it is three minute "pop" songs done really well.

From my metal and classic rock upbringing to the obligatory grunge period in college to prog to alt-country to indie rock, I must say that power pop, which I first really got into in college, is my go-to genre. It always works for me. I can always listen to it and find myself bopping up-and-down in my chair like I am as I write this sentence. Good power pop makes you do that.

Here's the song I was bopping to, off Shoes' latest record (Ignition), "Heaven Help Me."


No comments:

Post a Comment