Tuesday, July 24, 2012

New Gets July 24

Sorry for the lack of posts. Here's some random thoughts on today's new interesting records.

Handwritten by The Gaslight Anthem - Straight-forward bar-room rock n roll. I read a much better essay on them on Grantland today and I get what the writer is trying to say. Sure it's derivative, but derivative can still be pretty cool when done well. Listening to this I liked it a lot. The cover of Tom Petty's "You Got Lucky" is a nice touch, though it sounds kind of predictable. But that goes back to my point: if you do it well why not. Not everything needs to be cutting edge or new or different. Sometimes you can just nail it. (It's still not as good as anything by The Hold Steady, who are the masters of this sound).

Dark Shores by Strand Of Oaks. SoO is basically a one-map operation named Tim Showalter. I have not listened to this yet (already have the latest Shins record going and I don't like to interrupt records currently going. yes i am anal.) but I have high hopes for it. His last record, Pope Killdragon was a great slice of indie-rock. I got to meet Tim when he played for about ten people at Iota. We talked about music and influences. Really nice guy. Do check out his record.

No comments:

Post a Comment