Friday, January 26, 2018

Power Pop Roundup

As my band approaches being ready to record our next album, I find myself dialing up more power-pop records than stoner rock records. Becoming a vinyl nerd means I sometimes miss out because the latter batch of bands revel is gorgeous vinyl, while the former bands tend to be digital and CDs only, with a couple exceptions here and there.

Spotify has been a good friend here, as I use the Similar Artist feature to lead me down the rabbit hole. I don't even remember what artist started it this time around, but here's some of the good jangly- guitar rock I have been digging lately.

Crash Through or Crash by Shake Some Action! Yes the exclamation point is in the band name. I like that. The album cover even hints at a Rickenbacker like mine. You can hear the chimey guitars right from the start. This is classic sounding, soaring power pop. The vocals remind me of Jagger in spots; second track "The Only Way Is Up" has a verse that says "Am I fast enough? Am I some slow enough?" on and on. What Stones song was that? "Miss You." Anyway, this is my favorite of the batch.




Melody Records by The Mylars. This is more modern sounding. Great vocals and great melodies.  And a pretty cool cover of The Cars' let's go. These guys are opening for Rick Springfield and that's a pretty cool comparison.  The vocals remind me a TON of some band I listened to in college. Wakeland comes to mind, but there is somebody else. These cats are really good. I'd love to open for them. I followed them on Instagram and they followed us back. I should hit them up.


Welcome Aboard: by The On and Ons. More of a retro 60s feel here. Sounds like a band that plays on Little Steven's Underground Garage that I would need to look up immediately so I didn't forget. Or if The Wonders kept going for a bit more than one record. They appear to be from Australia, so I probably won't ever see them. At least we have the internet!



Crybaby by Danny De La Matyr. I am never gonna completely remember this guys name. But that's alright, I'll buy the record and that will be fine. More chill than the others here. Rainy day power-pop. A bit more produced, like in the Jon Brion-vein. His voice reminds me of somebody too. Memory is failing.





Scenery For Dreamers by Daniel Wylie's Cosmic Rough Riders. And I thought my band name was a mouthful. Crunchy guitars over Americana-y vocals. Internet tells me these guys are taking a hiatus. That's too bad they are very cool.



Tear Your Minds Wide Open! by The Galileo 7. Another retro sounding outfit. They sound British. Yep Kent. I guess their name comes from a Star Trek episode so you have to add BAND when searching for them. Worth the effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment