Monday, February 10, 2014

The Most Dangerous Site On The Internet

A co-worker of mine recently introduced me to Discogs. This is a super cool online database of albums. What's cool is that you can look-up all the potential variants of an album. Do you have a German copy of Dark Side Of The Moon? Lo and behold there it is! Naturally I created an account and promptly went about inputting my collection because I have nothing better to do. I was surprised to see I only have 193 records. HA! That's all, right? Here is a link to it if you want to peruse.

The dangerous part is the marketplace. For all these records, there are links to vendors who are selling them and for people who are looking for them. You can create a wish list of things you want. The majority of the vendors take Paypal. So a giant marketplace of Paypal accepting vendors make this a very very VERY dangerous website.

There's also a place where you can comment on records, rate them not only on how you like the album but on the condition of your copy. It is a little clunky in figuring out which copy you have,e specially when there are many to choose from. Many of the titles have pictures of the labels included, which helps considerably for matching up to the degree of exactitude a nerd like me desires.

For what it is worth, I have only done one transaction so far, mainly so I can see how it works. I ordered this from a nice fellow in Germany. It is already on it's way. I am very interested to see how long it takes.

No comments:

Post a Comment