Saturday, May 18, 2013

Impossible Truth

I am not alone in thinking it but I feel the guitar is the most expressive musical instrument besides the human voice. I've written before about my appreciation of guitar-based instrumental music, especially that done by Explosions In The Sky and by James Blackshaw. We can add a third brilliant artist: William Tyler.

Tyler comes from Nashville but Music Row doesn't rub off on his music. Like Blackshaw, he works at creating soundscapes driven by working through chords and progressions. Where Blackshaw uses the 12-string acoustic, Tyler uses both electric and acoustic. The results are often stunning. The songs are mostly just his guitar but a few tracks employ stand-up bass and horns to perfect effect.

His latest record is Impossible Truth. Though I sometimes rag on Pitchfork, they are a fantastic resource for finding new music; this record is yet another. It was on my Spotify playlist for a couple months before I decided it was an LP I needed to add to the collection.

I take back what I said about Nashville; there is a country-vibe that permeates the songs. Take the gorgeous "Cadillac Desert." It's eight minutes long here; give it at least a few.


There is a definite rustic element; I see a front-porch kind of thing in my mind's eye. Not just the beauty of the playing but the sophistication of the song is what draws you in. It is very difficult to make music like this that stays engaging. It's easy for it to become pretentious or meandering or down right boring.  Tyler doesn't do that. The music shimmers off the LP. This kind of stuff needs to float on the air, waft into your head and settle in. I listen and I feel I need to pat attention. Where is it going next? It has a basic structure that may be repetitive but it builds and builds and works itself around and takes new paths. It's perfect for late night driving or as I am wont to do lay back on the couch with the headphones pulling on a beer.

Thanks to William Tyler for a very beautiful record.

No comments:

Post a Comment