Sunday, January 13, 2013

Johnny Cash & The Gospel Road

I reckon if anybody could get me back in touch with my faith it would be Johnny Cash.


Johnny's faith was a big part of his life. It was a big part of his return from the abyss of drugs. That and June Carter were the two things that got him back on the straight path. When he left Sun Records he did so because Columbia Records was so happy to have him they had no problem with him releasing Gospel records, even though they were not the kind of thing that would sell.

Early in the 1970s Johnny was at the height of his popularity. Between the records and the TV show he was doing very well. So he parlayed that popularity into a movie that was very personal to him: "The Gospel Road." I haven't seen the movie but I understand it to be inspired by Johnny's visit to The Holy Land and made up of Johnny narrating against scenes of that visit and of actors portraying scenes of Jesus' life, interspersed with songs both traditional and original. The soundtrack to that is what I am listening to right now.

I grew up Catholic; I went to Catholic schools from second grade through high school, high school spent with the Jesuits. In the last few years however, I find myself without much of a faith these days. Much of it is that I don't agree with the Church; I find people (not just in the Church but elsewhere) spend too much time meddling with other people's lives. I am not anti-religion; I feel if it helps you become a better person then fine. I think if it makes you feel superior or look down on other people, or if it makes you disregard the value of human life because paradise awaits you, then that's where I disagree vehemently.

Johnny Cash had the kind of faith that I sometimes wish I had. He embraced it and was never afraid to talk about it or sing about, but it never felt in listening to him that he was judging you or pushing his faith on you, in least in a way that made it uncomfortable. What you had was a man who loved and embraced his faith and used it to improve his own life and of those he loved.

The record here is not Johnny's best but it's interesting. I found it at the local used record shop for $5 and I couldn't resist. Listening to it, it appears to be the audio from the movie put to a record. There are some great songs and performances. Kris Kristofferson shows up and does a great version of "Help." June is here of course. Larry Gatlin to. But the fascinating part of it is the portrait of Cash and his faith; that he was brave if that's the right word to so openly display what he cared so much about and meant so much to him. That I really admire and it's one of the reasons why he's one of my heroes.


No comments:

Post a Comment