Tuesday, October 23, 2012

GRULHH: Marquee Moon

Editors note: I am going to start a new feature called GRULHH, which stands for Great Record U Likely Haven't Heard. I expect you to go off to the local record shop or iTunes or wherever you steal music from or Spotify and immediately procure or at least listen to the records in this series. Why? Because they are great and you likely haven't heard them. You're welcome.

I play guitar but admittedly not very well. I reckon if I practiced a lot more than I do, or maybe if I started playing when I was young and not when I was 28ish (or something like that) then maybe I'd be able to be a competent lead guitar player instead of the passable rhythm guitarist. Happily for my band's sake I can sing (how well is open to interpretation) and write songs (which I actually think I do fairly well but again I'll leave you to be the judge of that).

The point here is that I am always impressed by good guitar playing be it on record, live, or by Tom standing across the basement from me. When most folks think of great guitarists and great guitar albums, the usual suspects show up: Hendrix, Van Halen, Clapton. One record I would put in that list (and that a lot of rock writers do anyway) is Television's Marquee Moon.

It's interesting that a band that came out of the 1970s NYC club scene were such virtuoso guitar players; and that they let their virtuosity come out on record. The licks and leads and run that Tom Verlaine and Richard Lloyd pull off on this record is really stunning. If you are guitar player, and I am thinking mainly of younger players like my nephews, this is a record you should really give a chance to.

Here's "See No Evil" which is the first track on the record.


What's really great about it is the interplay between the two. The rhythm lines and the lead lines weave in and out and around each other. The whole record is like this, vocally and vibe in tune with bands like Talking Heads, but the guitars are creating a whole different element. This record, to my ears, at least, sounds like nothing else on the planet. It's tough for a guitar band to set itself really apart, to do something unique and special. Television have the guitars acting as another voice here, where you don't just listen to it as the guideposts or the propulsion of the song, not a wall of noise and sound but parts that demand your attention, leaving you wonder where it's going next, how it will be different the next pass through.

Television didn't last terribly long. They made another record which is good but just isn't on the same plane. The most notable thing done after this was when Richard Lloyd helped Matthew Sweet out on Girlfriend and Altered Beast, two other very unique sounding guitar records. Television did reunions and a record not too terribly long ago, but again, it doesn't have the magic they captured on Marquee Moon.

If you got nothing better to do, here's the awesome title track. Be warned it is ten minutes long, so you can always surf someplace else in another window while this is going.


No comments:

Post a Comment